The TrHed is, as the name suggests, a more 'traditional' bodhrán. Well, for an instrument that may be 55 years old, it is of course difficult to speak of real tradition. But I am sure you know what I mean ;-)
This drum is the result of years of collaboration with Johnny 'Ringo' McDonnagh, best known bodhrán player of our time and a real veteran in the irish music.
'Ringo' prefers large diameter, relatively small frame and thick goat skins of old male animals, with the spine at 2/3 of the playing surface.
The TrHed has a clear role model in the sound character and the basic design: the legendary Charlie Byrne bodhrán. Charlie Byrne, now sadly deceased, was perhaps the first famous professional bodhrán maker. He had strong influence in the development of the bodhrán and had characterized the 'typical bodhrán sound' of old recordings, for example De Danann.
My TrHed would just tie here and make the 'old sound' again a bit more attractive and available.
- 45cm diameter (18")
- Ap. 14cm deep frame (5,6")
- Tool-less 10-point tuning system. Smooth-running and made for low-tention-tuning. Even at low tention the adjusters will not loosen themself.
- Frame made of beech.
Natural finish or brown with sunburst effect or solid black.
Bird´s eye maple natural or brown with sunburst available.
- Special selected "Standard" goat skin. Thick quality and the spine at 2/3 of the playing area.
- Transparent tape" coating (instead of usual black tape) for more harmonic overtone behaviour.
- Only-nail skin attachment
The drum skins used here are very rare, so it might take a long delivery time for this model. We only use thick goatskin from older, mostly male animals (ap. 7 until 20 years old) and use the dorsal line at 2/3 of the playing area. Experienced players know that male goat skins might smell a bit 'goaty', but this just accents the rustic overall look. ;-)
Instead of the usual black tape around the skin edge I use a 'Transparent tape'. It is a special coating used at the interior and exterior of the drum skin and works in a similar way as the black tape.
It must be said very clearly that this drum is not for inexperienced players. In the wrong hands, it is a weapon and a session killer.
In the right hands it is a fantastic instrument with a bourdon-like bass, crisp and dry attack, and a earthy, almost hypnotic overall sound !
MODELS & PRICES:
- 45x14 Beech natural 350 EUR (incl. 19% VAT)
- 45x14 Beech brown with sunburst 380 EUR (incl. 19% VAT)
- 45x14 Beech solid black 380 EUR (incl. 19% VAT)
- 45x14 Bird´s eye maple with sunburst 450 EUR (incl. 19% VAT) See picture on top.